This position is considered "on-demand". Once qualified you will be invited to participate in our database and will be contacted when needs arise.
The interpreter functions as the support service provider to facilitate communication for community members who are deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing through the use of sign language or oral interpretation/transliteration.
- Familiar with RID Code of Professional Conduct and how the tenets apply to job duties in the college setting;
- Be knowledgeable of professional practices affecting interpreting;
- Skilled in a wide range of sign language systems on abstract and concrete topics;
- Ability to assess language or communication model of consumers and setting and determine optimal linguistic equivalence;
- Use consumer feedback, assess effectiveness of interpretation and adjust interpretation accordingly;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Possess a high degree of sensitivity and independent judgment in assisting individuals with disabilities;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships;
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with a diverse population.
- Two years of documented interpreting experience;
- Graduation from an accredited Interpreter Training Program;
- RID certification.
Nice to Have
- Experience with video interpretation